Five Years Ago Today
Five years ago today, Jim was putting up house trusses and I made the first of my blog posts here at The Building Brows. If you had told me then that we would not be in our house yet five years out, I wouldn't have believed it. Since then, many things have transpired.
- Birthed two children bringing our total to seven children
- Built two additions onto our mobile home to accommodate our growing family
- Had farm animals & given them away
- Been adopted by a wonderful cat who had kittens then died
- Leveled land
- Cleared forest
- Gone from worker to business owner
- Built a business workshop
- Endured the passage of puberty and entry into teendom with our first child.
- And now we parent a child with a rare chromosome disorder who has required much.
Five years ago we began this venture to build our house without loans, not because we were prideful or arrogant, but because we knew the worker-roofer income did not support a year-round loan. We suffered ridicule and threats to report us to child services by "well-meaning" readers who insisted we neglected our children because we refused to provide bigger and better for our kids on their time frame.
Five years ago we couldn't see a recession coming, we only knew we needed to follow what God was telling us to do. Now that the recession is here and many are suffering great loss, I find us stable, no different than we've been these past five years except that we're in better position to finish our house now that Jim owns the business he used to work for.
Five years ago I would have run away if you asked me to stay here five years: I believed we'd be out of the mobile home by now. In five years from now, I don't think we'll be out. But I hope.
I welcome 2010, another year to build, living day by day in the moment with each moment a chance to start new.
Tech Tags: New Year anniversary family home house construction